Friday, March 19, 2010

Good Run!

I don't think the word 'dread' adequately describes how I was feeling about today's 2:45 run. I think that I was so anxious about it that I actually wasn't feeling great this morning.... my tummy was a rumblin! Always a convenient excuse not to run. BUT, I went anyway... I figured if I ended up-chucking THEN I could abort the run and try another day.

I arrived, but Christy didn't. I was quite nervous. After all we had the long run planned, this was not just the usual morning run. I was going through the scenarios of what I would do if she would not show (another good excuse not to run?). My car clock struck 5:00, so I got out to talk to Todd about it. I couldn't talk to Jill about it since she is trying to get the gold medal for living up to nicknames - No Show Gal (NSG). I decided to give Christy a call and just as it finished its first ring I saw a white car screaming down the road (hopefully the local police don't read this blog - if they do, I am NOT saying she was speeding!). Whew!

So, let's get this over with! I explained to Christy that I broke it down to 2 and 3/4 morning runs. THAT wasn't THAT bad! Well, it wasn't that bad! I think I was dreading the run so much because I had such a miserable experience during the 2:30 run. This run I finished feeling great - like I could keep on going and wanted to pick up the pace for the last leg home! YEAH!

Of course it helped that we had a new runner with us. Christy's sister joined us at 6:00 for most of the rest of the run. A whole NEW set of conversation topics! Time just FLEW by! As is typical - Christy said a whole bunch of things that I thought - "Remember that for the blog". Yeah right, I am not 42 so obviously remembering anything during the 2:45 hour run is not happening. Of course, I am not as old as my friend Sandy who had a birthday this week. I wonder how she does it ;-)

When I got home I decided to take an ice bath. Now, I have done this in the past and it really wasn't that bad. I am not a die hard since I only put cold water in - no ice. I did not take any video of it like Shut Up and Run, but let me tell you - I was a bit more vocal. This time it really was bad! Jim was laughing pretty hard at all my screams and squeaks, but when he saw my blue lips and my uncontrollable shaking he said, "you better get out of there". So, I made it maybe 7 minutes. MAN! I think it was more miserable than past experiences since those were in the summer when I was training for a fall marathon. So the temperature of the cold water coming into the house was much warmer than it is now. I just cannot get over how miserable it was compared to when I did before. Even my Sudoku puzzle didn't distract me. Plus, I was having a hard time writing due to the uncontrollable shaking!

So, the bottom line is the Run was GREAT (well, let's be honest, it was okay) and the ice bath SUCKED!

p.s. Hopefully this time I don't misspell certain words into swear words! If I do, I am sure Tom will point it out (to everyone but me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment