Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A different day

Well, remember when I said that I actually "enjoyed" running on the treadmill while in the Boat? Today was a different day.

I knew it wasn't going to be a good run when I looked in the mirror and said to J, Today is my first full day as 42 and I look it. Oh my. As I was walking toward the fitness center, I found myself thinking that I would rather not be doing this. And of course everything went wrong when I got there.

First, I have to say that I don't like the new set up in the gym. They got one big screen TV to replace 3, but the equipment didn't get moved back. So, unless you are on one of the two (very popular) elliptical machines right in front of it, you have to turn your head in at least a 45 degree angle to see it. Of course, then you can't hear it either. Naturally, the treadmills are at the ends of the row... the worst spots.

I got on one though. Got things moving when I realized that I was going to need a LOT more distraction than the 45+ degree TV viewing angle would provide. I then realized that I forgot to switch my iPod holder for the one with the belt clip. I made the mistake of putting the iPod on the machine. You know what happened. Within 30 seconds I hit the headphone cord and my iPod went flying. Luckily, it was unscathed. Then I realized I was HOT. I saw the treadmill on the far other end of the line of equipment was free and had a fan. So, I moved. Got situated again. Started listening to my audio book when I accidentally hit the chapter ahead button. UGH!!! So, I switched to podcasts. I had listened to ALL of them already. ARRGH.

On top of all of this my body was not happy. My first few steps I believe I let out a pretty audible groan as the jiggle of my butt was amazingly painful. So, I ran 2 miles. Pathetic. But I did it. Better than nothing. Plus, I have been downhill skiing on a BIG MOUNTAIN for 2 days. My legs have been getting quite a workout, so it is not like I have been slacking.

Plus - I am 42, I deserve a break today!

1 comment:

  1. Good job for getting in there and doing it! 2 miles is way better than NO miles Allison! Heck, you're 42...what more do people expect of you? :)

    Hope you are having a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete