Friday, March 12, 2010

10 mile pace run - a little late

I am a little late in posting this, but other things were calling my attention - like a 7:00 a.m. meeting.

So, The Cousins, He Who Shall Not Be Named and Kwik Trip Gal ran our 10 mile pace run. I think we did well - at 8:44 pace. Newbie Runner (Todd) also joined us for 6 miles of it. He did GREAT! He hung with us which is pretty amazing - not because we run super fast, but because he is pretty new to us and it wasn't really fair for us to "change things up" on him this early. BUT Marathon training must go on! We really weren't trying to run away from him.... REALLY - even if he is a Vikings Fan!

I learned quite a bit about He Who Shall Not Be Named today. One, as a teacher he sure doesn't practice what he preaches. You would not BELIEVE how many times I had to tell him to Shut Up! when I was trying to explain the route. Hopefully he learned his lesson during one of the many of times that he tried to turn when we were going straight or when he went straight when we turned. Note that I said WE - everyone else (who had their listening caps on and their mouths closed) knew where to go. No extra steps by us. I had no sympathy for him. It was a good life lesson for him.

We were also talking about musical devices and the things we used to and still call them.... like boombox and walkman instead of mp3 player. We are so.....o old. He Who Shall Not Be Named admitted that when he first was running he listened to a cd player but it would skip. So he would have to run with his hand out, palm up and his cd player lying flat. I thought it sounded like some yoga pose. I think this means he would make a good pacer for a marathon. I always wonder how those people run 26.2 miles holding a stick with their pace time on a flag at the top of it. Plus, he said he didn't have any goal for his 3rd marathon except that he wanted to be under 4 hours. Ah! We had to remind him that most people (including 3 of us running) couldn't run a marathon under 4 so running a marathon under 4 hours really is a GOAL. I think it was really his usual way of trying to get people to admire him without looking like that is what he is trying to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment