Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Adolescent Humor - NRR

Warning - This is not running related (NRR).

Jim and I frequent a local Chinese Buffet restaurant (slim pickings in a small town) and when we do, we indulge in a little adolescent humor when reading our fortune cookies. This little game was taught to me by my good friend, Peter Schill, when I was in grade school. A group of families including Peter's were in Milwaukee to see the musical Annie. The families had gathered at a Chinese restaurant and the kids were allowed to all sit at a table together. Peter told us that when we read our fortunes out loud we should add "in bed" to the end. Now, I should point out that I was one of the youngest at this table of about 10 kids so many were were young teenagers. Needless to say, the adolescent humor was abundant. I remember being slightly aghast/embarrassed by adding such a sexual thing to my cookie's fortune. I wish children today had that same innocence. Anyway... I digress.

Needless to say, the addition of those two simple words caused much belly laughter and tears. It was so funny, that from that day forward whenever I read my cookie's fortune I would add "in bed". Of course when the other people I was dining with have not heard of this game, I will explain it (somewhat embarrassingly) and it never fails to elicit laughter.

So, today Jim and I got quite a kick out of the combination of ours:

His: "You will always get what you want through your charm and personality (in bed)."
Mine: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst (in bed)."

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete