Friday, July 11, 2008

Dumb and Dumber or Dedicated and More Dedicated?

First long run of the Chicago Marathon training plan! Of course we had to start it all out at the insane hour of 4:30. Sandy, Jill, Jenny and I. We looped back and picked up Mike and Elyse at 5:00. No donuts - big BUMMER. I didn't see any of the o.j., milk or coffee (aka Diet Mtn Dew) either which I heard later was hidden some where in a white SUV.

Jill and I should get the 'Larry' award. After dropping off the 5:00ers, we headed out for our last 45 minutes. The clouds to the east look ominous, but we kept positive thoughts. Well, Sandy only kept her positive thoughts until the end of the park loop and then she was outta of there. Some flash of light - I think it is was a firefly - made her nervous. A block later, Jenny also headed out - apparently fireflies were out in force. So the new thing I learned today is that and in addition to dogs, Jenny is also apparently very afraid of fireflies.

Jill and I kept on going. We were doing the stampede route backwards (Do we ever do it the right way?). When we were on the lower part of North St. it started to rain. By the time we were making the turn on to Thayer it was an all out downpour, but the sky looked lighter to the east and I didn't think it would last much longer. On the hill on Main, I learned the second lesson of the day - it could rain harder. At this point our shoes became lakes - but we were actually enjoying it. And if Jill says she wasn't - then she is proving once again what a devious person she is. Every once in a while we would get a nice flash that would like our way.

I am sure the male drivers really appreciated those flashes of lightening considering my soaked WHITE tank top (with built in support) and my light green shorts that are very transparent when soaked (Lesson #3 for the day).

So, if it rains at Chicago Jill and I will be the only ones prepared for it! Ha!

We ended up with 2:10 and 13.5 miles and a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment