Friday, July 4, 2008

Another new runner!

We have had a windfall of new runners in the past month! Today Elyse (Ah-Lees) joined us! She is a teacher which means she has summers off. Understandably this makes getting up at 5:00 not very appealing for her, but we hope that she will join us whenever we run a little later and on weekends. We will be kind until the school year starts and then we will be sending her viscous e-mails demanding to know why she is not joining us! We are always eager to have newbies who lend new life to the group and who have never heard our tired old stories. Plus, that also means we don't have to listen to Mike all the time.

I think the group needs a get a little training on how to best welcome people into the group and make them feel welcome, valued and appreciated. I don't think running all the hills possible such as BC and Tower is a good way to do this, no matter what Kwik Trip gal thinks. Apparently Kwik Trip's philosophy is to have the veterans pretend that they work this hard all the time so that when new employees join they feel intimidated and naively do whatever the HR department tells them to do - you know the "Fear of God" method.

3 comments:

  1. I'm training for the Chicago Marathon, too! It will be my first and I'm raising money for Ronald McDonald. Tomorrow I'm getting up at 5 to run 10 mi for the first time in almost year. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck!!! Let us know how your training goes. We're excited about Chicago because we haven't done a marathon nearly that big before. Should be fun! Happy training season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Runner Girl! I checked out your blog. It is great - I especially like that you like Miller Lite!

    ReplyDelete