Saturday, August 13, 2011

Half marathons

Well, I have figured out that I will be running Norwalk's (WI) Rails to Trails half marathon in November. There is only one other half in WI in November and this one is a lot closer, so it is Norwalk. I ran the inaugural Rails to Trails half and to be honest it is not my favorite. However, I have heard they have made improvements, like at the end of the race not making us run 1.5 miles past the finish. That was very hard mentally not to mention the freshly spread cow manure on the adjacent field. Ah! Only in Wisconsin!

I am also pretty sure I will run the Maple Leaf half in La Crosse during Oktoberfest weekend. We usually have a big group going which makes it a lot of fun and the post race bloody mary's (not provided by race) with good friends was also a lot of fun.

The big dilemma is October. What to do? What to do? Of course the first two October weekend would work great for me- pretty much, but there are no half marathons within 5.5 hours! So, my options are:

October 8 - Scenic Byway Half in Belle Plaine, MN (inaugural)
October 15 - Whistlestop in Ashland
October 29 - Haunted Hustle in Middleton.

There are no half marathons within reasonable driving distance the weekend of October 1/2. And the weekend of the 22/23 I will be up in Door County doing the Fall 50 with 9 of my best running friends! So, that leaves the above races.

Right now I am leaning towards Belle Plaine. It will give me at least 2 weeks recovery. But I am guessing it will be quite small, since it is the first one and in a small town (one hotel and 1 B&B). But it is only 3.5 hours away, so in driving distance.

I would prefer to run Whistlestop, but hubby is gone that weekend and already have a biking weekend on the calendar with friends. I might be able to get my in-laws to watch the kids for the Friday/Saturday, but then I would miss out on the bike. But maybe.......

The Haunted Hustle is the weekend before the Norwalk Half - so little recovery time. AND I will need it because I have heard that the Hustle is very HILLY. Hilly is not my favorite attribute in a race course.

So for the first time EVERY in this BLOG (because most of you know that it is not my first poll ever!)... I am providing you with a poll so you can tell me which race YOU think I should run. Of course, it doesn't mean I will listen to you....


1 comment:

  1. Allison...my reasons for voting for Haunted Hustle...the half is not that hilly, most of the hills are on the full and I PR'd on that course last year so how hilly can it be?? Capital City Beer and pizza at the end, it doesn't get any better than that; extremely well organized; they promised bigger medals this year; costumes were a hoot; great raffle at the Fri. night spaghetti dinner.

    ReplyDelete