Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vacation running

I realized once again how much I enjoy running while on vacation, although it has to be outside, not on the dreadmill. I always experience a different place as a runner as compared to when I am a tourist. When we were in Colorado I got to run within feet of a herd of Elk (there was a fence between us). Today I got to enjoy running around Paia, Hawaii on the island of Maui. I wasn't sure what the experience would be like since the local roads don't have much for shoulders and if lucky may be there is a sidewalk.

I found a run on Mapmyrun.com and modified it since it was a 12.7 mile route. I might be running, but I am on vacation! It took me out of town and through a sugar cane plantation. There were a couple of wonderful views along the way and for parts the tall sugar cane gave me a little shade. I was amazed at one point how quiet it was. No car noise, airplane or anything. Just the wind blowing through the sugar cane. It was pretty cool.

Plus, I get to see the locals being locals, especially when I run in the morning. It just gives you a totally different vibe as compared to when I am being a tourist. I am not sure if I will run tomorrow, I might and try and hit some of the neighborhoods.

On another note, I saw this article and couldn't help but wonder if this will be the Sparta morning running group some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment