Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trail Running

The great thing about vacation is being able to run in places you have never run before. When I am at a State Park, I like to do trail running because it lets you see the park in a completely different way than from the road (A surprise, I know). Plus it lets me preview any trails we might take the kids on. Plus when I am trail running I am more accepting of a slower pace. I justify it by the fact that I need to be more careful about my footing and am constantly checking to see where I am on maps - even if I know where I am at (map = rest). I also figure that since I am running on my VACATION that I automatically get 2 minutes/mile handicap on my pace. I call it my vacation run pace.

So, even though Lake Wissota has a 3 mile long road and I could get 6 miles in by running up and down it, I opted for a route that had more trails. And it was great, beautiful, relaxing until that moment when my toe caught a tree root and I went sprawling on the trail. A nice road rash on my knee and shin. Of course, I did this on the most flat and smooth part of the trail. Remember what I said about being careful about my footing?

What amazed me about the whole experience was how quickly the mind and body respond - first to trying not to fall, then by easing the impact, third by assessing injuries and fourth - did anyone see me? This all happens with in 1 second. No worries - I am fine. Just another lesson in humility. I know how much I need that!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your spill! Hope you are having a good vacation. We will have to tell you our story about how we were attacked and surely almost killed by about 100 rabid bats in the park this morning. That's how I saw the situation, though Jill and Elyse might tell it a little bit differently than that! :)

    ReplyDelete