Sunday, April 22, 2012

12x12 13.1 is complete!

Today I ran the Oshkosh Half Marathon which was my 12th half marathon in 12 months.  It was a great way to end the streak.  It was perfect weather (although there was a did bit of wind) 42-50 degrees and a flat, scenic course!

Overall the pre-organization was okay. The expo was a bummer.  Only one booth selling clothing.  The other one was closing down even though there was still 3 more hours to go and the rest were informational type booths.  The shirts ran big, but they were willing to give you whatever size you wanted  despite what your registration information said.

Race day.  PLENTY of close by parking.  We got to wait in the Convention Center which was much appreciated on a day where the starting temp was 42 degrees.  There were lines in the bathrooms, but I am guessing that if I was willing to go out to the port a potties there wasn't lines.  The start was a little mixed up because the 5K and the half started at the same time and they wanted the 5K on the left and half on the left but it was hard to tell.  It wasn't a big deal, but something that could be improved.

I enjoyed the course. Scenic and flat.  When is a flat course not enjoyable?  There were some narrow spots in the course which would have bothered me if I was trying to pass people, but it seemed that I was in a group of people my pace from the start.  There was one spot where the course when over a drainage ditch which had a 3 foot wide "bridge".  That caused a bit of a bottle neck.  Also, the water stations could have benefited from more volunteers.  They had a hard time keeping up handing out water, but Sheri who was behind me said that it wasn't an issue when she ran through.  I think I was just in the pace where there were a lot of runners.

I took a fairly relaxed approach to this race which made it very enjoyable.  For the first 6-7 miles I hung out with the 2:00 pace group.  The pacers were a couple of nice guys.  They started chatting with me when they saw my green Whistlestop shirt.  They had run that marathon also and I got to enjoy their funny story from it.  The talking made the first 6 miles go by fast.

After than I started to pick up the pace since I wanted to finish UNDER 2:00.  I felt strong through it all and my last 2 miles were around 8:45.  I am quite sure I ran the second half of the race faster.  So although I got a 1:57:42 which is not my best time, I was happy because I felt so good.

The post party was okay.  My favorite was the chocolate milk they handed us in the finishing shoot and a woman handed me a bottle of water with the cap already off for me - a nice touch.  The post race food was okay, but better then disney. My biggest beef was that they had TWO people serving beer and they weren't pouring cups out and setting them on the table, instead they were acting like bartenders.   They waited to you came up, asked what kind of beer you wanted and if you didn't know they would describe them to you (AAARRRGH!)  NOT a good system for 1700+ runners.

Despite the little criticisms, I would definitely recommend the Oshkosh Half.  

So, the recap of my 12x12 13.1.

#1 - Green Bay Cellcom: 1:58:28  - The only race that goofed up the course and had us run longer than 13.1.  So the 1:58 is an adjusted time.  I decided to drown my sorrows at the post race party.
#2 - Minneapolis Team Ortho 2:02:46  - hot, hot and hill, hill - not my fav
#3 - Middle Park Half Marathon in Grandby, CO 2:18:32  Not surprising, it was hilly - actually mountainous.  I thought it was going to be my smallest one (83 runners) until #11.  It was an interesting experience though.
#4 - Madison Mini Marathon 1:56:02 I had a great run at this race despite a 1.5 hour delay and still starting out in a thunderstorm and then ending in hot humidity.  Plus it was hilly.  But I loved running through my old stomping grounds.  It would have been even better if I had friends to share a beer with on the terrace, but I made another runner's day by giving them my beer ticket.
#5 - Maple Leaf - La Crosse 1:52:39  My best time in all the 12 and a fun time with friends (especially afterwards) but of course my nemisis Christy still beat me.  It was actually my second fastest time ever in a half.
#6 - Haunted Hustle  - Middleton, WI 1:54:54  A fun course but a bit narrow for the number of runners. I think they exceeded their capacity both in the race and the post race party.  But it was fun to be there when Debbie ran her FIRST half marathon.  It definitely had a younger vibe than the other half marathons I have run it.  Lots of costumes.
#7 - Rails to Trails -  Norwalk, WI 1:57:28.  I think this was my least favorite race.  #2 is close.  I have run it before and I just don't like running through the tunnels.  I am so afraid I am going to twist an ankle.  The only reason I made it in under 2:00 is because I passed my dentist around mile 11 and I couldn't let him see me walk!  It was the weekend after #6 which I ran hard, so my body wasn't recovered.  The first time I ran this I had run the HOT Chicago marathon 3 weeks before and I don't think I was recovered enough to race either. Just bad memories all around!
#8 - Fiesta Half Marathon - McAllen, TX 1:57:23.  This was the first and only half marathon that I have placed in.  However if you notice, it was not my fastest time.  The participants as a whole were just slower than the races up here.  It was pretty good racing weather  - 50 degrees but a cold, misty wind.  It was an cultural experience all around.
#9 - Disney Half Marathon 2:38:46.  Looking at my time you might asked, "What happened??"  Pictures, Pictures, Pictures and the threat of running a full marathon the next day.  My goal was to have FUN and I achieved that goal and had fun the next day too!
#10 - Lace Up Against Breast Cancer - Rochester, MN 2:03:04. I was a little disappointed in this time because I ran it hard.  But training for a marathon always slows my pace.  Plus, it was the coldest one and I think cold is just harder on the body.  Excuses, Excuses.
#11 - Half is Good Enough For Me - Neillsville, WI 2:01.  I was actually satisfied with that time due to the incredibly hilly course.  This was my smallest race with 21 other runners in the half.  It was not a course I would run again, but it was cute and small town and it was a nice vibe all around.
#12 - Oshkosh Half Marathon 1:57:42 (see above).

Overall it was a fun challenge.  The hardest part was finding races Dec - March.  Maybe my next goal will be to run all the half marathons in WI.

No comments:

Post a Comment