Saturday, July 9, 2011

Half #3 - Middle Park Half Marathon.

Today I ran my 3rd half in 3 months. Nine more in the next nine months.

This one - the inaugural Middle Park Half Marathon in Grandby Colorado was a challenge to put it lightly. The course description says there is over a 500 foot change in elevation from start to finish, but runners actually run up hill much more that 500+ feet due to the "rolling" hills along the course. The good thing is the big hills are at the start of the race and I am happy to report that was not the only one walking up the monster ones. I even managed to pass a woman from Denver, so my little Wisconsin lungs held their own! The majority of the course was on dirt roads which had me a bit worried about getting stones in my shoes, but no worries. The rain the night before settled the small looses stuff so it actually was a nice running surface. The weather was perfect. 50 degrees at start and the cloud cover stayed so no intense high elevation sun. And thankfully a light wind.

I ended up running a 2:18:38 which I am very happy with considering the course. In addition to walking the hills, I also stopped and took couple of pictures. And I didn't come in last! I actually finished 56th out of 85. Usually I am into 50% but I think this course drew more of the serious runners. They said that women out numbered men 3:1 and I am sure most were in my age group!

Overall it was a nice small town half. Cheerful volunteers and fairly well organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment