Tuesday, June 10, 2008

New Runner

The group welcomed a new runner this morning - Kristi M! Yeah! Welcome! Unfortunately I didn't get to know her since it is now official. I have recovered from the marathon. I know this because today I decided to do a little speed work. Despite my organized nature it was very ;by the seat of my pants" but thankfully Wendy was willing to go along with it. It essentially entailed running fast (not sprinting! I am not that insane) for about a quarter mile then slowing it down until I felt capable enough to do it again. Of course, I was running with Wendy who has a faster 'normal' pace than me. So really, the whole run was a speed workout!

I have been meaning to do this for two reasons. One - to get my normal pace faster after it slowing down during marathon training. Two - like anything, your body adjusts to activities you do on a regular basis. So although you still get the same benefits, you don't tend to burn as many calories - or something like that. So, in addition to a slower pace, the other thing marathon training gave me was a few extra pounds. I am also trying to get rid of those!

Maybe Wendy and I can get the rest of the group to join us once in a while.

Looking forward to seeing Kristi on Thursday. She says she will be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment